All competitors will follow NPC rules, guideline and mandatory poses. For complete guidelines and rules, visit the official site of the NPC: www.npcnewsonline.com Exhibition of poor sportsmanship will be grounds for automatic disqualification. Previous Overall winners are eligible to compete if they need to re-qualify. No thongs are allowed in any division. If you think your suit is borderline, bring a 2nd suit.
*New in 2018 Fitness will have one round of judging, consisting of a Fitness Round (100% of score).
Fitness Round (100% of score): Each athlete will perform a routine to music, with a maximum time limit of two minutes. Judges will be looking for style, personality, athletic ability, strength, flexibility and overall performance. Routines should include the following mandatory moves in no particular order: a push up of any kind, high kicks, a straddle hold and a side split. Props are permitted but anything that cannot be carried by the competitor on and off stage must be approved in advance.
Will have one round of judging, consisting of model turns, quarter turns and comparisons in a two-piece swimsuit. Figure competitors must wear high heels. Swimsuits must be in good taste and thongs and T-back suits are not allowed. Exhibition of poor sportsmanship will be grounds for automatic disqualification.
Men’s Physique Competitors
- Muscularity and Body Condition
Judges will be looking for fit contestants who display proper shape and symmetry combined with muscularity and overall condition. This is not a bodybuilding contest so extreme muscularity should be marked down.
- Stage Presence and Personality
Contestants will be asked to walk in board shorts (shorts must be just above the knee in length and can be one inch below the belly button. No spandex and no sponsor logos are permitted on the board shorts. (however a manufacturer’s logo such as Nike symbol or Billabongs are acceptable.) Competitors will enter the stage without a shirt and barefoot. No lewd acts are allowed for example the moon pose. No Gymnastics moves, flips, hand stands or other dangerous maneuvers are allowed. Judges are looking for the contestant with the best stage presence and poise who can successfully convey his personality to the audience.
Competitors will walk to the center of the stage alone and perform front and back pose with optional pose of hand on hip or hand in pocket, finishing facing the judges then proceed to the side of the stage as directed. Competitors have ten seconds to complete their front pose, back pose and return to face the judges. Excessive transition poses may prevent competitors from completing their front and back poses.
- The competitors will be brought back out in a group and directed to do turns by the Head Judge.
- Judges will have the opportunity to compare competitors against each other in turns.
- Competitors will compete in a two-piece suit. The bottom of the suit must be v-shaped. No thongs are permitted. Competitors can compete in an off the rack suit. All swimsuits must be in good taste. Athletes will be warned about improper suits and are advised to bring two (2) suits to check in. The fronts of the suits shall not be too low, V-shaped and must be constructed higher. Athletes will be scored down if the suit is not up to standards.
- Competitors must wear high heels.
- Competitors may wear jewelry.
- National level contests do not permit Bikini Competitors to crossover into Bodybuilding, Fitness or Figure at the same event. All other competitions are permitted to have crossovers at the discretion of the promoter with appropriate approval.
BIKINI COMPETITION JUDGING
- Competitors will walk to center stage alone and perform their Model Walk (personal preference)
- The Model Walk consists of the following:
Walk to the center of the stage, stop and do a front stance, then a half turn and do a back stance, then turn to the front again and face the judges and proceed to the side of the stage as directed. No lewd acts are permitted. Length of time allowed is 10 seconds.
2. COMPARISON ROUND, TWO-PIECE SWIMSUIT
- Competitors will be judged wearing a two-piece swimsuit and heels.
- The competitors will be brought back out in a group and directed to do a full front and back stance.
- Judges will have the opportunity to compare competitors against each other in half turns. (No side judging permitted, front and back only.) Note: The poses allowed from the rear are as follows: The Straddle Pose: Feet no wider than shoulder width, hands on front of thighs, shoulders and chest up and a slight bend. Criss/Cross: One leg over the other and feet together, with shoulders and chest up and slight bend in legs. Competitors with excessive bending at the waist may be scored down. Hand on hip – Competitors may pose with one hand on either hip and with the opposite hip extended to the side. Competitors may not bend excessively at the waist with their shoulders and chest up.
Judges will be scoring competitors using the following criteria:
- Balance and Shape
- Overall physical appearance including complexion, skin tone, poise and overall presentation.
Women’s Physique Competitors
Competitors are judged on symmetry, shape, proportion, muscle tone, poise, and beauty flow. The following words can be helpful to assess what should NOT be descriptive to Women’s Physique: ripped, shredded, peeled, dry, diced, vascular, grainy, massive, thick. Excessive muscularity will be scored down accordingly. It is the standard between Women’s Figure and Women’s Bodybuilding. Posing consists of ¼ turns and mandatory poses: front double biceps (no flat footed full front pose – some sort of front twisting pose, side chest with arms extended, back double arm biceps, side triceps with leg extended and front ab/thigh – all poses must be executed with open hands *no fists (closed hands). Barefoot – no heels. Finals routines are 60 seconds in length performed in the evening. Costumes and Props are permitted as long as the props can be carried by the competitor on and off stage. If time dictates, only the top 5 will perform their routines but everyone will be introduced and hit a few poses.
Men and Women Bodybuilders Competitors
All competitors will follow NPC rules, guideline and mandatory poses. Mandatory poses for men and women bodybuilders for 2018 are: Front double biceps, front lat spread, side chest (your favorite side), rear double biceps, rear lat spread, side tricep and abdominal/thigh (hands behind your head with one leg extended forward). Moon poses are not allowed. Previous overall winners are eligible to compete if they need to re-qualify.
*If entered into more than one class you will perform your routine when you come out the first time.
Mandatory poses for 2018 are: Front double Bicep, side chest, rear double bicep, abdominal thigh and your favorite Classic Physique pose. Classic Physique Competitors must meet the height and weight requirements whether they are in the Open, Juniors or Masters divisions. *New in 2018 – The NPC is adding five pounds to each inch in Classic Physique.
For Classic Physique height and weight requirements, visit our Classic Physique Guidelines page.
Will follow same rules as their Open divisions.
*Figure and Bikini competitors must wear high heels. Swimsuits must be in good taste and thongs and T-back suits are not allowed. Exhibition of poor sportsmanship will be grounds for automatic disqualification.